The great organ of St. Katharinen was created over a period of around 200 years by major organ builders but was largely destroyed in 1943.
The reconstruction was carried out by the Dutch company Flentrop from 2009 to 2013. Since then, a large historic city organ from the time of even before Arp Schnitger has been heard in St. Katharinen. The instrument represents the significant period of Hamburg organists, encompassing the names Praetorius, Scheidemann, Weckmann and Reincken. J.S. Bach also gave a legendary concert here in 1720.